FOR COMMON GOOD
YOUTH ARTS ENRICHMENT PROGRAM
Promoting Youth Driven Cultural Diplomacy and Social Change through the Arts
The YAEP offers a precious opportunity for young people to develop their unique identities and build skills that will benefit them for a lifetime. With arts education at its core, this online, community driven program will not only build the visual arts, drama, music and dance skills of participants but also expose them to the concepts of art for social change and cultural diplomacy.
Spaces are now available for 50 Trinidad and Tobago based youth between the ages of 14-18 to get the opportunity to participate in this exchange with champions from around the globe.
A carefully selected group of accomplished and acclaimed creative professionals and global social change leaders from Barbados, Burundi, Myanmar, South Africa, the Philippines, Trinidad and Tobago, United Kingdom and United States of America will facilitate masterclasses, lectures and demonstrations in the respective arts areas and guide participants through understanding cultural diplomacy and their roles as global art for social change envoys.
The program culminates in a participant driven, social change themed showcase of the arts to be given its own day at the FOR COMMON GOOD, Global Art for Social Change Festival, set to take place virtually for a global audience and with in-person events in Arima, Trinidad and partner countries during the inaugural Global Arts for Social Change Festival (August 2021).
Starts March 2021
(1 hour per week)
- Three (3) month module, masterclasses, workshops and career days with international visual arts, theater, dance and music practitioners and Mentoring from local visual arts, theater, dance and music practitioners (March-May).
- Two (2) month module, learning from and working with global leaders in the fields of Gender Equality; Good Health and Well-being; Decent Work & Economic Growth; and Climate Action (June -July).
- One (1) month for festival preparation working alongside the FOR COMMON GOOD team to create performances or artworks that merge with the social change themes explored (August).
- FOR COMMON GOOD Global Art for Social Change Festival (August).
- Builds and develops skills in Theater Art, Visual Art, Dance and Music.
- Deepens civic engagement through sensitizing participants about themes of Gender Equality; Good Health and Well-being; Decent Work & Economic Growth; and Climate Action.
- Helps develop personal artistic style, confidence and personal branding.
- Drives creativity, enterprise and employ-ability skills.
- Develops and refines diplomacy skills
Increases cross-cultural competencies
- Prepares participants for their roles as future global leaders, change makers and advocates.
Applications for the 2021 cohort of the Youth Art Enrichment Program is now open. The deadline to apply is February 26th, 2021. Prospective students must apply online by the deadline.
YAEP Participant Checklist
Prospective students must:
- Be registered by deadline date
- Be a VAPA student at a secondary school or submit a portfolio with application if not a VAPA student (guidelines to follow)
- Submit a personal statement
- Attend 80% of each module
- Work closely with assigned mentors
- Participate in end of program festival
The entire cost of the six month exchange is TTD $600 per participant or $100 a month.
A very limited number of scholarships for those most in need have already been allocated and been made available through local and international corporate and individual gift support.
FOR COMMON GOOD YAEP is an initiative of Arima based, non-profit organization Caribbean Fashion and Arts Feature Festival.
We welcome your support in sharing this opportunity within your network to reach young persons who may be interested.
Also please feel free to reach out to us should you be in a position to provide support toward a scholarship for a deserving young person in need.